Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sensitive matters

"Nic, I have to talk to you about a sensitive matter," Natasha said, looking at me with the eyes that are most often followed with a pleading (and misguided) "you're going to hate me forever!"

The reaction to this sort of prelude is not voluntary. My heartbeat quickens, I feel lightheaded, and my stomach twists up into that anticipatory feeling that only happens when I know something horrible is about to happen or I'm about to finally overcome some previously insurmountable challenge (usually in a video game).

"It's about your blog," she said. "I told my mom about it, and she said, 'Natasha, that's not right. It's feetwashing.'"

Jeanine had then hurried to dig up an old book as proof, but I trust this step was unnecessary. She is the archivist at Manchester College. There is no doubting that she, not I, is correct.

However, I feel that I am not alone in my ignorance. Maybe I'm just mishearing things, but isn't "footwashing" a common use? Like a less horrific "nucular?" Please comment and set me straight.

On another note, a Wikipedia entry is titled "Four Square" (two words), while Google asks "Did you mean foursquare?" (one word). "Four-Square" appears to be used solely in this blog title.

Please contact me if you are interested in being a contributor to this blog. Also, given the current sparsity of posts, I advise using an RSS reader to be informed of updates.

1 comment:

bekah said...

I must admit - I thought the same when I was first introduced to this blog. We had a discussion about this in the Brethren History course I took in college. The Mennonites say 'foot washing' we say 'feetwashing.' I don't remember why - I guess it's just the way things are!